samandjack.net



"Hi," Jack stole a second glance at the good-looking blonde sitting opposite him in the coffee shop. Pretending to read the newspaper he'd brought with him whilst he sipped his coffee, he thanked his lucky... whatever that he'd decided to visit his usual haunt that Saturday morning.

The blonde looked up and smiled at him, blue eyes lighting up, before retreating back to her book. The waitress came over, offering to refill her mug, which she gratefully accepted, flashing that lovely smile again.

Jack wracked his brain to think of a good conversation starter, before stumbling out another; "Hi."

This time she looked up at him with a grin on her face. "You said that already."

"You come here often?" That smile was getting to him now; he was never this flustered.

She laughed. "That was worse."

Jack watched her as she sipped her coffee, noticing the light blue shirt she wore was nearly the same shade as her eyes.

"So what do you do?" he ventured, proud he had finally thought of a non-come on sounding question.

"I'm an astrophysicist." The blonde answered, going back to her book.

"An astrophysicist? Is that even a word?" Jack asked her incredulously, his own smile belying his obtuseness.

She rewarded him with a humorous glare. "So what do you do?"

"Me? I'm an MI5 agent." Jack answered with conviction.

"A spy?" She asked in disbelief.

"Best in Colorado Springs. I'm gonna be the next James Bond."

She laughed wholeheartedly, enjoying his sarcastic humour. "So what do you really do?"

"Air Force."

"Really? Me too."

"I thought you were a scientist....person."

"I can't do both?"

"Apparently you can."

"I get the feeling you don't like scientists?"

"Each to their own." Jack responded smoothly, gesturing to the waitress for a refill.

"A cliché?"

"I hate them."

"I know." The blonde grinned mischievously, pushing a strand of hair behind her ear, revealing pretty silver hearts with a pink stone at the bottom of each.

"Nice earrings." Jack told her sincerely.

"Thanks. Anniversary present from my boyfriend."

"Lucky guy."

"I tell him so." The mischievous smile was back again.

"So... fancy some lunch?" Jack asked hopefully.

"What would my boyfriend think?" She grinned back.

"I cleared it with him, he says it's fine." He stood from his chair, slipping his leather jacket on over his shoulders.

"Are you sure?" She replied, moving closer to him.

"Positive." Jack smiled and pulled her to him with a now-familiar kiss. "That italian round the corner?"

"It's the best." Sam agreed, feeling warm with his arm still stretched round her shoulders as he paid the waitress for their drinks.

"Those earrings suit you." Jack smiled, holding the door open for her before slipping his arm comfortably round her shoulder again.

"You have good taste."

"Oh, I know. Especially in scientists."