samandjack.net

Story Notes: CATEGORY: missing scene or how "Paradise Lost" would have ended if I were TPTB.

DEDICATION: to Sally and everyone else who hates the last scene in "100 Days" (I love it, but I see where you're coming from). I know it's not much to make up for that but I tried... Enjoy! P.S.: it helps if you listen to Jennifer Paige's "Stranded" while you're reading.

E-MAIL: bluejello_em@yahoo.com


Paradise Regained


She should be walking faster. Actually, she should be racing through the corridors. God knows she wants to fly to the debriefing room. But she doesn't... and it's not just because of her guilt, or because she's afraid of screwing up... again. This time, Maybourne's presence alone is enough to assure her that he desperately wanted to come home.

She's just so sick of pretending, of schooling her features, of censoring her every gesture. She's afraid of her reaction. She knows she won't freak out again. (Poor Teal'c! At least it had been him. Not only has he been *there* all along, he's *been* there, done that.) She also knows she cannot bear another: "Welcome back, Sir! No, I haven't missed you like crazy, like someone's ripped out a piece of my soul" scenario. And she knows that's EXACTLY how it has to happen.

So there she is, facing him in a room full of her friends, not to mention their CO... She tries to smile but all she can say is:

"Welcome back, Sir..."

They're still there and they all know... but the more aware she is of their presence, the less she cares. She wraps her arms around him and she's holding him close, silently bringing that lost piece back where it belongs.

"We missed you," she murmurs, knowing she'd soon have to let go.

But not before he gives her a little knowing smile, whispering:

"We missed you too, Carter!"

THE END.