samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-MAIL : ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

ARCHIVE: SJD yes

SPOILERS: 2010


Mrs. Ambassador Joseph Faxton sat bolt upright in bed, trying to quell the nausea her dream had induced. Beside her, the ambassador shifted in his sleep, but did not waken. She debated disturbing him, but quickly realised it wasn't the comfort of his arms she desired. Slowly, carefully, she crawled out of bed and crept downstairs. Sometimes milk helped settle her stomach, and, while it was warming, she flicked on the news. Even after three months, the headlines were full of the attempted terrorist attack....and the man who was going to die for it.

The Aschen did not advocate the use of capital punishment, but in his case they were willing to make an exception. He was a scapegoat, nothing more. With two of the team dead and a third in exile, there wasn't anyone else to blame....unless you counted the woman who was behind the attack. But she had been acquitted of any responsibility. Her husband had intervened on her behalf....unexpectedly supported by the man now glaring at her from the TV screen. She hadn't been responsible for her actions....so they said. She had been influenced by the man who used to be her commanding officer.....he had threatened her. .....all stories which had been circulated over the months. Not that the Aschen would ever trust her again....and they certainly wouldn't let her anywhere near their computers.

Of course there had been some rumour circulating telling of how the Aschen were going to destroy the human race. However, the excitement of a real, live, public execution had soon relegated that particular story to the less reputable newspapers. The news item droned on, painting a picture of a cruel, heartless killer. A man who had been pushed over the edge by the death of his son. No one was allowed to know how he would comfort a lonely child, how he would fight for the people of any world, how many lived he'd saved. Her thoughts became more personal, recalling the way he used to smile, how he'd say things just to make her laugh.....the way he touched her.

Reaching forward, she snapped the TV off. This wasn't helping, she was supposed to be finding ways to relax. What she wanted most of all was to see him, but, apparently, he wasn't accepting visitors. She wasn't certain how true that was....but knowing him the way she did, it was probable he was trying to protect her.

God she had to get away from here. Sometimes she felt like a prisoner in her own house. She knew her movements were being monitored carefully, just in case she was involved in some subversive action. If she were honest with herself, she'd lost her crusading zeal. At the moment there was little she could do. Maybe in a couple of years....who was she kidding. This had been their one and only chance. All she could do now was watch her world fade an die.

"Honey? Honey are you awake?"

Her husbands voice floated down the stairs.

"I'm in the kitchen," she shouted back.

Joseph Faxton appeared, rubbing sleep from his eyes. He placed a kiss on her upturned face.

"Are you feeling sick again?" he asked.

"Yes," she admitted.

"Maybe you should see a doctor?"

"I don't think so."

He took the stool opposite her, and gently grasped her hands.

"Sam, have you considered that morning sickness....well it's one of the signs of being pregnant?"

She felt the tears prick in her eyes. Angry tears. How could he even say that? He was grasping at straws to ease his conscience. He knew damn well she couldn't have children.....no one could.

"It's possible," he countered.

"Only if Janet was lying to me. I saw the scans, Joe!"

Without another words he pulled her into his arms.

"I'm sorry," he whispered over and over again, "I'm sorry."

His attempts to comfort her were awkward. They hadn't really been intimate in the last three months. And Sam wondered if the ever would be again. It was hard....especially after she'd betrayed him. She stayed in his embrace but she couldn't bring herself to return it.

"C'mon, lets go back to bed," he said.

She acceded to his wishes. Letting him lead her back to the bedroom and settle her against the pillows.

"Joe?" she began as he climbed in beside her.

"What?"

"I need to go away."

"Where?"

"Anywhere....Tollana. Could you arrange travel papers for me?"

"Why?"

"I just need....to go away for a while. Feel another planet under my feet."

"But Tollana?"

"Is a perfectly safe world which doesn't advocate aiding other civilisations....which means they're hardly likely to help me start a revolution."

"I don't know....."

"Please?"

She reached out for him, dragging her fingers through the hair on his chest. Joe groaned at the contact. Sam wasn't above using any means necessary to get what she wanted. And she really, really wanted to leave.

"This won't work," he smiled.

"What won't?" she asked, running her fingers downwards.

"Seducing me."

"I won't get the chance while I'm on Tollana."

"You....."

He laughed and pushed her onto her back, pressing her into the mattress.

"Okay...okay...I'll see what I can do."

She kissed him in earnest this time. Grateful that he was still willing to put himself on the line for her. His Aschen superiors wouldn't want her to go, but Joe would find a way. It was what he did best.

*************************************************************************************

Janet Fraiser looked up at the sky noting, not for the first time, it was slightly the wrong shade of blue. She sighed to herself, wondering if she'd ever see her home planet again. These three months hadn't been easy. The Aschen had sent people to Chulak after her, but Janet had managed to stay one step ahead. It was nice to know she hadn't totally forgotten her military training. In the end she had sought asylum with one of Earth's old allies.....and called in a few favours.

Getting news from Earth had been difficult, but she had found out how her friends had died. How Jack O'Neill was on trial....how Sam had gone back to Joe. Janet didn't know whether to be angry or not. What would she have done in Sam's position? At least her friend had lived to fight another day. She couldn't believe it had all been for nothing, that they had failed so completely. The world was still there....but it would no longer belong to humanity.

Above her, the Stargate began to spin. The design of this 'gate was strange....sleek, tall....some would say better than the original. At least that was what these people told her.

"This must be Samantha," her companion said, unnecessarily.

They didn't get many visitors from Earth anymore. When the Aschen came into the picture there was little need to maintain relationships with any other allies, especially ones who weren't willing to share.

"Right on time," Janet smiled back.

The 'gate whooshed into life and a single figure stepped through. Sam....she looked about her, smiling when she saw her friends.

"Janet," she said, accepting her friend's hug.

She then moved to Nareem, letting him embrace her in a similar fashion.

"Come," the man said. "I have prepared accommodation.......And I know Shroedinger is eager to see you."

"He's still alive?" Sam asked.

"Oh yes, I believe he would be...."

"Fifteen?"

"Correct. This is old for his species?"

Janet held back a little as Nareem escorted them across the square, towards one of the elegant buildings. She was surprised by the changes the past months had wrought within Sam. In truth, her friend did not look well. Sam had always been slim, but she had lost a lot of weight. But it was more than that. There was a listlessness about her. As if she had lost a lot more than two of her friends.....as if her world had ended.

The rooms Nareem had found for Sam were beautiful. Sam seemed pleased. She walked around, touching the furniture with the tips of her fingers, dipping her hands into the small waterfall which dominated one corner of the main room.

"Is this satisfactory?" Nareem asked.

"Yes, thank you," Sam smiled back.

"I will return shortly with refreshment."

Sam sank down in the nearest chair and Janet perched on the window ledge.

"He still has a thing about you," she grinned.

A tired laugh was the only reply. Sam's eyes were closed and for a while nothing was said.

"Can you tell me what happened?" Janet asked.

"It all went so wrong," Sam began. "I heard shots, I ran in there....but I was too late. Teal'c was dead, Daniel was dead, I though Jack was too. I grabbed the note from his hand....but Joe followed me. He ordered the 'gate and the defence system shut down. I didn't get the chance to send it through."

"I'm sorry, Sam."

"So was I."

Nareem returned with food and a carafe of fruit juice. He also brought Shroedinger, who, despite their long separation, quickly settled himself on Sam's lap. She ignored the food, but seem to relax slightly as she stroked her cat. He responded by purring loudly.

"Are you not hungry, Samantha?" Nareem asked, sounding concerned.

"I looks wonderful, but I've been feeling a little nauseous, so I think it's better if I don't eat anything for now."

"Maybe a different selection?"

"No, it's fine. I'll have something later."

"Very well, I will leave you to rest."

He bowed and left the room. Janet stood to follow him,

"Are you sure you're okay?" she asked.

"It's just a stomach bug," Sam reassured her.

"I'd like to be the judge of that. The Aschen have been known to use biological weapons. Maybe you should see one of the Tollan doctors."

"You sound like Joe....except he thinks I'm pregnant. Sometimes that man just can't face reality."

"Come on."

"Now?"

"Better sooner than later."

With great reluctance, Sam dislodged Shroedinger from her lap and followed Janet out of the room.

The exam was quick and thorough. Janet peered over the doctor's shoulder, knowing enough by now to interpret the results.

"I'll tell her," was her only order.

Janet didn't like being proved wrong, especially when she had been so damn sure. How the hell was she to break the news to Sam?

"So?" Sam asked, "There's nothing wrong with me, is there?"

"No, there isn't anything wrong....but these results....I'm a little surprised."

"Janet?"

"Maybe we should go back to your quarters...."

"Tell me."

"Joe was right."

"What?"

"You're pregnant."

"But you said....."

"I know what I said. And I have no idea how this happened. All I can think is maybe a couple of your eggs remained viable and you just got lucky."

To prove her point, Janet held up a print out of a scanned image. The foetus was plainly visible. Sam reached out shaking fingers, stroking the image.

"I'm tired, I need to get some sleep," she whispered, letting her hand drop.

"Sam..."

"I'll see you in the morning."

She headed out of the medical centre, back towards her quarters. Janet didn't follow. It was clear Sam wanted some time alone. Who wouldn't given the circumstances? It still didn't make much sense. Sam definitely hadn't been pregnant when Janet had checked her over first time. And surely the Aschen wouldn't have stopped at just sterilising the women.

*********************************************************************************

Sam ran back to her quarters, ignoring the startled looks she gained. No one on Tollana ever seemed to hurry.

How could this happen? First she had thought she hadn't been able to have children....now she was pregnant. She'd had enough pregnancy tests to realise she hadn't been expecting when she'd first spoken to Janet in Washington. And, apart from the previous night, she'd only had sex one other time. Unfortunately, the person she'd had sex with hadn't been her husband.

Her rooms were quiet, shielded from the bustle outside. Sam curled up in a chair, holding Shroedinger close....trying not to remember.......

/////////

She couldn't stay. Not here. Not tonight. Not after everything Joe had told her. How could he? How could any of them have agreed to this? She didn't know what to think, what to feel. She wasn't angry....she was beyond angry. Her face was so soaked with tears, she could hardly see where she was driving. Janet's house lay well across town and it took Sam a while, even though it was so late. She thought her tears would have run their course, but they hadn't. By the time she knocked on Janet's front door, she could hardly breath.

It wasn't Janet who opened the door.

Sam backed away when she saw who it was. Even after his apparent change of heart, she didn't particularly want to speak to him. She thought he would reject her again....tell her to get back to Joe.

"God....Sam....."

He took her arm and pulled her into the house, just as she was on the point of turning away.

"What happened?" he asked. "Did he hurt you?"

"No....no...I mean..."

Sam knew she was practically incoherent. How could she tell him what Joe had done? She was shivering. She didn't know why, it wasn't that cold outside. Jack was a picture of concern. All the distrust, all the hatred was gone from his eyes as he helped her to the couch, wrapping her in the throw rug which Janet kept draped over the back.

"Where's Janet?" Sam asked, remembering who she had actually come to see.

"Not here...she decided to spend the night with Daniel."

"I'd better go."

"No Sam, stay. You're in no condition to drive."

"I should go," she repeated, but Jack gently forced her back down onto the couch.

"C'mon, tell me. I may be able to help. Can't Joe get the GDO?"

"He's going to get it."

"Then we're all set. This time tomorrow....well....who knows where we'll be?"

"It's not that," she heard herself admit.

He fell silent, not wanting to push her any further. Under other circumstances Sam was certain he would have given her a hug. Now he kept his distance and for the moment, Sam couldn't recall what she'd done to drive him so far away. It wasn't just Joe. Right now, she wanted to be held so badly.

"You want some coffee or tea or something. I think Janet may have some chocolate somewhere," he offered.

"Tea," she said. Anything to stop her teeth chattering.

"Promise you'll still be here when I get back?"

"Promise."

Strangely enough, she no longer had the urge to run away. In due course, he returned with a steaming mug of tea. Sam clutched it gratefully, letting the warmth seep into her soul.

"Ready to talk about it?" he asked, gently.

"He knew, Jack. All this time, he knew."

"Knew what?"

"That the Ashcen were planning to sterilise the population. According to him they only agreed to a small percentage but...."

"They still agreed....son of a bitch!"

She could tell Jack was having trouble believing that anyone could agree to such a condition.

"I know. All this time we've been trying to have children and he never even thought that this might have been the reason.....or maybe he did and he was just using me....I don't know anymore Jack."

"Hey....hey....hey...I'm sure it wasn't like that."

"Why are you sticking up for my rat of a husband?"

"I'm a guy?"

Sam couldn't help herself....she started laughing.

"I've missed you," she admitted through her giggles.

"Back at ya," Jack smiled.

He reached, tucking a strand of hair back behind her ear. His hand lingered on her cheek, stroking the soft skin. Sam was suddenly reminded of the time they had spent as Thera and Jonah. Of the way they used to spend their time together. She shifted closer to him, dropping her head onto his shoulder, allowing him to stroke her hair in earnest.

This was how it was meant to be, she and Jack, together. No bitter words, no recriminations, just freedom to love.....love....Sam sat up. She still loved him. After all this time, after everything, she was still in love with this man. How dumb could you get? Even if they hadn't fought, even if Joe hadn't come along, they could never have been together. He would have driven her nuts within the first six months.

"Look, Janet has her guest room made up for me, why don't you take it and I'll crash on the couch," he offered.

"Thank you."

Sam shrugged the blanket from her shoulders and started to get to her feet. Jack's hand in hers brought her back to his side.

"It'll be okay," he told her. "After tomorrow.....who knows. You and Joe will probably still meet and have...I don't know.....a dozen kids or something."

"And I'll hope you'll stop me this time," she replied.

"Sam?"

"Joe betrayed the whole human race, Jack. That's the man I married. Guess I'm not a very good judge of character."

"You said yourself he's a good man."

"Yeah, but I let another good man slip through my fingers. One who had the courage to stand by his convictions and trust his gut instinct. He asked me for help and I just shut him out."

"Maybe he should have tried harder," Jack mumbled.

"But you see, these people were supposed to love each other.....not much of a happy ending, was it?"

It had taken her ten years to admit he was right, but there was no triumph in his eyes, just deep sorrow.

"Oh Sam," he breathed, pulling her close.

Sam knew this was dangerous. She was very needy right now and Jack was here for her. Taking a deep breath, she inhaled his sent. Marvelling how, in the depths of the city, he still managed to smell of grass and wind and pines. This was how it was supposed to be. Her hands hidden in the folds of his shirt, Sam slipped the rings from her finger and tucked them into her pocket.

He pressed a tender kiss to her forehead, another to her cheek. Sam was the one who turned her head to capture his lips. The kiss was everything she'd ever imagined. Gentle, passionate....his tongue slipped into her mouth, sliding sensuously across hers. Sam felt her body press closer to his, moving against him, causing him to moan into her mouth. They broke apart for a second. Staring at each other with some measure of surprise. Jack opened his mouth to speak.....probably to apologise, but Sam stopped him, kissing him again.

This was no longer time for words. They'd said all they'd needed to. It was still forbidden, but it always had been.....and, if everything went to plan tomorrow, none of this would matter anyway.

"Stay," he told her breathlessly, when they collapsed in each others arms.

"I can't," she said, gathering her clothes.

"Just for an hour. Let me hold you for that long."

She couldn't say no to him. They crawled into the bed in the guest room. Holding each other, whispering sweet words. She stayed longer than the hour....mostly because Jack insisted on 'helping' while she took her shower. They made love again, hot water beating down around them, drowning out her cries.

Eventually, Sam had to go home. To a bed which was cold by comparison. To a man who had betrayed her and everything she stood for.

//////////

.............Sam awoke in the cool, fresh dawn, tears streaming down her face. Somehow, the smell of Jack was still clear in her memory. She almost believed that, if she reached out, he'd be there at her side. But he wasn't....he was rotting in a cell on death row.

She slid her hands down her body, trying to feel the change in its contours. How could she have been dumb enough to miss the signs? And she just thought she'd been putting on weight. Hell, she'd even gone on a diet. There was a baby growing inside her. A child she couldn't possibly bring into the world....not her world. Not unless she did something to change it.

*************************************************************************************

Jack lay on his back, staring at the ceiling.....as he'd done for the past hundred days or so, wondering where it had all gone so, so wrong. Not for the first time, he realised he should have stayed in Minnesota and gotten a dog. If Carter hadn't turned up and batted those baby blues at him....he tried, he'd really tried to say no. Why hadn't he been able to?

He shifted on the narrow bed, picking up the paper, wondering what they were saying about him today. It was the usual garbage, but he found the headlines vaguely amusing. Some of the stuff they accused him of....it was laughable. Shaking his head he flicked through the rest of the paper, sometimes there would be a picture of Sam....There on page ten, Sam with geek boy Joe, her rat bastard of a husband. He spent a good part of the morning looking at the picture. The news story said she'd gone off world. Didn't mention where. Joe was seeing her off at the Stargate terminal. Jack found himself comparing it with the earlier pictures. Committing every contour to memory. She looked tired, ill almost.....sad, he hoped.

Carefully, he tore the photo out and put it with the others. Maybe it was a trifle obsessive, but it didn't really matter anymore. If he wanted to keep pictures of Sam, so what? He couldn't actually end up in a worse situation than he was now. He was glad Joe had managed to keep her out of this mess, but he sometimes wondered why she hadn't ever come to visit.

Maybe it wouldn't have been the brightest thing to do, but he hadn't thought that would have stopped her. Or perhaps she was just pissed at him for taking all of the blame. What else could he have done? Two of his friends were dead and he wasn't about to see a third die when she didn't have to. Which was why he'd gone along with Joe's suggestion. That was one thing he and the Ambassador definitely had in common. They both wanted to protect Sam....even if she wasn't exactly grateful. However tough she was, and he knew she was pretty damn tough, being in prison wasn't what he wanted for her. He couldn't bear to think of her behind bars....the light in her eyes dimming day by day. No this wasn't for her. Besides, if Sam were still free she could find a way to try again. And she would, he was pretty damn sure of that.

Jack had often been in a position to contemplate his death. This was different. This was a slow degradation of his soul, from which there would be no reprieve. No chance of Carter charging over the hills with half a dozen marines to snatch him from the jaws of death.

He'd had been in prison before, and as jail cells went this one wasn't bad. Ironic really, the last time he'd been here, he'd been visiting Maybourne. He spent some more time wondering idly what had happened to the little creep. Probably still living the high life somewhere. Who said the bad guys never win? Maybourne certainly had. There were probably still people out there who were willing and able to buy his services. Like a cat, that little piece of slime would always land on his feet. There weren't many people who managed to walk off death row.

Despite the demoralising aspect of being where he was, Jack was too well trained to let himself go. Routine was the key and here, it was relatively easy. After all, he'd been living alone for the best part of ten years. He was very good at enjoying his own company. Of course he had to be careful not to let his thoughts drift to some of the darker places in his psyche......

Jack was partway through his morning exercise routine when one of the guards called him. He thought it was just his lawyer again, with some new appeal. The guy was young and pretty clueless. Whatever, it was the reason Jack did nothing more than swipe himself with a towel before letting himself be handcuffed and escorted out of his cell.

"Sam?"

She was sitting at the table, her hands clasped together, looking as if she'd rather be anywhere else.....

"Hello, Jack," she said.

Feigning nonchalance, he swung himself into the chair opposite.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" he asked.

"How are you?" she countered.

"Great....yeah...relaxed....you know the masseur here is to die for."

"Jack...."

"If you cared so much about how I was doing, why didn't you check up on me before? Wait, let me guess.....you were too busy playing happy families with Ambassador Joe!"

"What do you mean? You didn't want to see me!"

"Didn't want....!"

Jack realised their argument was drawing a lot of unwanted attention, so he lowered his voice, leaning towards her.

"Of course I wanted to see you!" he hissed.

"Wait a second....Joe said...."

"Joe...?"

"Damn."

He smirked to himself. Looked like someone was in trouble when Sam got home.

"So why are you here now?" he asked.

Sam shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Her hand drifted to her abdomen and her eyes met his. Jack's jaw dropped. He almost said something, but stopped himself in time. She obviously didn't want anyone else to know just yet. His fingers started tapping on the table, beating out a nervous rhythm. Her eyes widened for a second, but she soon realised what he was doing,

"I don't know," she said. "I just wanted to see if there was anything you wanted."

"To get out of here!"

"Jack..."

"Right, no way Ambassador Joe could fix that."

"Be reasonable!"

"Reasonable. I'm stuck in here for wanting to save the human race!"

"Don't start that again. The Aschen have been nothing but beneficial!"

"Right. Well you know what....screw them....and screw you......Get her out of here!"

She sat there unwilling to move. Stubborn to the last.

"Then get me out of here!!!" he yelled.

They took him back to his cell. Jack flung himself onto his bunk, burying his face in the pillow, hiding his grin. Even when he died something of him would live on. He couldn't believe it. Sam had told him she could never have children so this.....it was a miracle, pure and simple. Of course there was the male aspect of this....he definitely had one over on Joe. At least one of them wasn't firing blanks.

But there was a melancholy side to his thoughts. This was a child he wouldn't see grow, who would never call him dad. But maybe Sam could find some happiness, some reason to keep fighting. One child wasn't going to be of much help to the human race but....who knew what might happen?

*************************************************************************************

Sam hurried home, her heart full. She'd debated long and hard before going to see Jack, but she was glad she'd told him....and that he was pleased. It had been a long time since either of them had used Morse code....it was a miracle either of them remembered. When Jack had first started tapping on the table, she'd thought it was just a nervous habit. The fight had covered it well and she doubted anyone would be suspicious.

"Keep safe."

Was the last thing he'd said. And that was one thing she couldn't do. Not now. She knew, more than ever, she couldn't let Jack die.

Joe wasn't home. Probably a good thing. She wasn't quite certain how she was going to deal with him betraying her for a second time. Maybe this wasn't as earth shattering as the first, but she had to wonder how many other things he'd kept from her, and what he might do in the future. Then again, she wasn't exactly innocent. She ran her hand over her stomach once more, a gesture which was becoming more and more familiar. Yes, she did feel guilty about sleeping with Jack, but she couldn't help thrill to the consequences.

During her airforce career, there had never been time for children. When she retired and married Joe, starting a family had definitely been on the agenda. Finding out she couldn't....words failed her. This was a miracle. A sweet, beautiful miracle. She was lost in fantasy. Imagining her child's first words, first steps....vacations, picnics, play. A future which Sam was determined to make happen. And the first thing she had to do was save Jack.

It had been a while since Sam had done any serious research and web searches had been Daniel's forte, however it didn't take her too long to find the required site. She left a message for Hutch, then there was nothing else to do but sit back and wait.

Joe was late home that night. He was late a lot of the time, working extra hours in order to make up for what was seen by his employers as a temporary aberration. He was quiet all through dinner, and Sam had a presentiment he wasn't happy about something. She had to wait until dessert before he let her know what was on his mind.

"You went to see O'Neill today," he began.

"Yes," Sam replied. There was no point in denying the fact.

"Sam, do you know how bad it looks."

"I know."

"After all the trouble we had...."

"He's going to die, Joe, and by rights I should be in there, not Jack."

"God, Sam, there were enough rumours floating around about you and him. Don't give the press any more fuel for the fire."

Without meaning to Sam dropped her spoon. What rumours? No one could possibly know about the baby....could they.

"Everyone I spoke to thought you were having some kind of affair......Were you?"

Sam felt her face burn.

"Oh my God you were. You were having an affair with your commanding officer."

Then she realised he was referring to the past, ten years ago, when they had first met.

"No, Joe. I can honestly say that Colonel O'Neill and I never slept together while we were at the SGC. I didn't see him again until three months ago."

"Good. So you'll have no problem keeping away."

Something about his tone was annoying her. Male jealousy was one thing....but he was acting as if he'd won her as some kind of prize.

"Is that why you told me he didn't want to see me.....because you were jealous?" she demanded.

"Sam......"

"I don't believe this. Maybe I just wanted to say goodbye to my friend!"

"Sam...."

She pushed her chair back , throwing her napkin down. Staying in the same room as her husband wasn't conducive to her temper at the moment.

"I'm going to bed!" she announced. "You can take the guest room."

Hormones. It had to be hormones. She went to bed alone that night and Joe knew better than to try and join her. Sam knew that she did love Joe. But she couldn't rationalise that love with his actions. Why hadn't she seen this side of him before? Or maybe she had. It had been Joe, after all, who had persuaded her to shut Jack down. Had that been jealousy too?

Sam was in the supermarket when 'Hutch' made contact. She hardly recognised him behind the beard and the grey hair, but she still had the urge to put a bullet through his brain....or shove him face first into the tomatoes.

"Major Carter...or should I say Mrs. Ambassador?" the familiar voice made her skin crawl.

"Dr. Carter will do," she snapped back.

"Play nice, doctor. You called me, remember? It's been a while."

"Thank God."

"So, whatever you want from me, my guess is it's pretty serious."

"Yes."

"Nothing to do with Jack's current situation?"

"I don't want this to happen," she admitted. "I can't let this happen."

"If you've got enough money....it won't."

It seemed no time at all before the execution day was set. Jack's lawyer had tried to appeal but there was little chance. Sam watched it all from a distance. Not wanting to jeopardise her precarious position by going to see him again. She and Joe didn't mention Jack, but as another month passed, Sam started to find it more difficult to disguise her condition. There was a definite bump where there had just been flat, firm flesh. Somehow, the physical evidence made it all seem terrifyingly real. It was only a matter of time before Joe noticed.

Finding money for Maybourne was more difficult than she had expected. When she got married, Sam had shifted all of her funds into a joint account, one she couldn't access without Joe noticing. So she started selling things. The odd piece of jewellery here and there. Expensive gifts which Joe had bought her during their courtship. Sentimental value perhaps, but it didn't bring her enough, not nearly enough. Of course she could have someone cheaper but, in a weird kind of way, she trusted Maybourne. At least he wasn't an unknown quantity. He'd do the job and do it right. There wasn't anyone better....except perhaps Jack.

"You're a few dollars short," Maybourne commented as he counted the notes in the envelope.

"I know," Sam admitted.

He pushed it back across the table.

"Got anything else?" he asked.

"Only these," she said, taking off her wedding and engagement rings, adding them to the cash.

Maybourne picked up her engagement ring, studying the stone intently.

"Nice," he grinned.

Yes, it was nice. And God only knew what Joe was going to say when he realised she wasn't wearing it.

*************************************************************************************

With a true sense of irony, the Aschen helped to decide Jack O'Neill's fate. Mowlem did not find lethal injection a satisfactory method of execution. It seemed the Aschen had far more interesting ways to ensure a man's death. And in this case they decided the punishment should fit the crime.

At midday, Jack was to be taken to the JR Reed Space Terminal, his place of execution. He didn't know if this was better or worse. At least he got to see the outside world again.....even if it was just through the window of the van which transported him from the prison. For a brief second, he even felt the sun on his face, as he was bundled out of the vehicle and into the building. He had to be grateful for that much he supposed.

The last time he had been here, he'd almost died....which was pretty funny when you thought about it. He remembered lying there on the steps in front of the Stargate, eyes open, unable to move.....knowing they'd failed.

Jack didn't have much time to reminisce. The place was packed with people. Everywhere he turned, flashes were going off. Someone pulled a jacket over his head, shielding him from the lights. People were shouting, yelling, hating him. You had to admire the Aschen, they knew how to play to a crowd. There wasn't a person in this building who didn't think he was the devil incarnate. The next thing he knew, he was standing before the Stargate, facing the crowd.

Now his lifespan was down to mere minutes, Jack felt more than a little scared. His eyes scanned the crowd and he was rewarded by the sight of Sam. He hadn't expected her to come. Or, more significantly, he'd expected Joe to try and stop her. In what was probably his last act as a smart ass, he waved at her. His guards, pulled him backwards, forcing up the steps so he was standing in front of the gate.

He'd seen people die this way, disintegrated as the Stargate sprung into life. As deaths went.....at least it was quick and painless.....and a lot less messy than other methods. At least this way, all they'd have to bury was his shoes....unless somewhere out there wore a size fifteen......

Someone started to speak, but Jack tuned the words out. Instead he concentrated on Sam. Losing himself in the depths of her eyes. She was crying. The guards left his side and Jack was left there alone. He could hear the gate chevrons sliding into place.....any second now.

One

Two

Three

Why was it taking so long?

Four

Five.

God even he could dial out faster than this, and he had no memory for gate addresses.

Six

Jack closed his eyes.

Seve......

Oh God. Pain ripped through him.

Oh God.....Oh....He was lying on the steps, clutching at his left shoulder. The kawoosh having passed directly over his head. Whoever had shot him had one hell of a sense of timing. The gate behind him was still active. No one had thought to shut it down. People were running and screaming, as the security forces attempted to apprehend the unseen gunman.

"Jack....Jack you have to get up."

Someone was hauling on his good arm. Trying to get him to his feet.

"We have thirty seconds before the security systems cut in."

He tried to pull himself upright, using Sam's arm as a ladder. She was standing beside him, a pack strapped to her back.

"Come on," she said and dragged him through the open Stargate.

*************************************************************************************

The world they gated to was nondescript. Trees and rain...it could have been anywhere. Sam didn't plan on staying long enough to find out. She set Jack down carefully, and hurried to the DHD. This had gone more smoothly than she had ever dared imagine. Her conscience gave a slight twinge when she thought of Maybourne, although she realised he was probably half a city away by now, sitting in a cafe sipping a cappuccino. He was, after all, nothing but professional.

Jack wasn't looking so good. The wound was messy, even if it wasn't life threatening. Hurriedly, she punched in the address. The sooner they got out of here, the sooner she could do something about it.

"I've been shot," he mumbled as she went to help him up again.

"Yes, Jack."

"Why?"

"It was the only way."

Together they stepped back through the Stargate and onto another world. This time the air was dry, hot.....and they found themselves facing half a dozen MP5's. The weapons had been left here a decade ago, but they had been well cared for.....and the men clearly knew how to use them. Despite the defeat of the Goa'uld, the Abydonians remained wary.

"My name is Samantha Carter...." Sam began.

The men looked at each other in confusion.

"This is Jack O'Neill....we're looking for Skaara?"

The name aroused some interest, however the weapons remained trained on Jack and Sam. They were waved away from the Stargate and out into the desert heat.

"This man needs medical attention!" Sam said, trying to get them to stop.

But no one seemed interested in listening to her. Jack was doing his best to keep up, but was clearly having problems. Sam couldn't recall how far the city was from the Stargate, but she knew it was a few hours walk. Which she should have thought of before deliberately setting out to injure him. Then again, if anyone could survive a walk through the desert with a bullet in his shoulder, it would be Jack O'Neill.

Sam herself, soon began to feel the effects of the heat. It had been a cool sort of day in Washington and Sam had dressed accordingly. Before too long she had shed her jacket and tied her shirt under her breasts. In addition, her shoes weren't the most practical, but taking them off would result in burnt feet, so she suffered in silence. What she wouldn't do for her army boots....

Jack was hardly better off. His prison issue jump-suit was of a heavy, dark material....made darker by the sweat he was exuding. He'd be badly dehydrated when this was all over. Her preparations hadn't been totally useless. At least she'd managed to pack a water bottle. She gave most of it to Jack, figuring he needed it more than she did. For once he didn't complain. A testament to how lousy he was feeling. He stumbled along beside her, clutching onto his injured shoulder.

They reached the mining pit after an hour, the trek to the city took another two. In their airforce days, Sam knew she and Jack could have made the journey in half the time. Jack was injured, so he had an excuse. Sam, however, was badly out of condition. By the time they got to the city, everything hurt....everything. Once inside the walls, she collapsed gratefully. However, she couldn't afford to rest for long. Jack was lying beside her.

She hauled the medical supplies out of her bag and set about dressing his wound.

"I wanna go back to jail," he moaned.

"Shh Jack. Everything's going to be okay," Sam whispered.

"O'Neill!"

The voice was instantly recognisable. Skaara. Older, no longer a child....but still in awe of the man who had set his people free.

"It has been many years."

"Too long," Jack managed to answer.

"My friends, why are you here? "

"Sanctuary," Sam said.

*************************************************************************************

Jack awoke in the chill of the desert night. His arm was stiff and sore, but thanks to the drugs Sam had given him, it was a lot less painful than it had been. No, something else had woken him. Perhaps it was the sharp bite of the night air in his lungs, so different from the controlled conditions he had grown used to. He looked around him, catching sight of the figure standing by the window.

She was gazing out across the city, her hand absently caressing her abdomen. There was only a slight bulge, only visible because of the way her desert robes were draped. In Jack's eyes, she had never looked more beautiful. He carefully climbed off of the bed, approaching her on silent feet. As quiet as he was, she still turned before he reached her. Some inner sense telling her he was close.

"You should rest," she smiled at him.

"So should you," he told her.

"I will."

"You okay?"

"No."

A tear trailed down her face.

"I gave away his rings and left the divorce papers on the kitchen counter....pretty lousy, huh?"

He didn't speak, but he realised Sam didn't want him to.

"When I got married I thought it was forever."

"Everyone does."

"But then I sleep with another guy and...."

"Hey!"

"Sorry."

She fell silent, her eyes unfocussed. Jack moved closer, placing his hand over hers where it rested on her stomach.

"You can't regret this," he whispered, "please, not this. I know it didn't happen under the best of circumstances....."

"I remember it being quite good."

Jack couldn't help himself, he smirked.....but quickly schooled his expression when Sam glared at him. He wasn't supposed to agree with her statement.

"Did Joe know?" he asked.

"I never told him......would have been twisting the knife a little too far, don't you think."

"Look, I know we didn't exactly cover ourselves with glory here. Maybe we shouldn't have slept together, but we have a baby now and we're here, with each other.....that's what's important..... "

"But what about the other children? The ones no one can have?"

It was in that moment, Jack realised Sam was willing to try again. She was willing to sacrifice her own life....their child's life.

"Sam...no!" He said.

"We have to try again, Jack. We owe it to the human race," she argued.

"We owe them squat."

"You agreed before."

"It was different before."

He grabbed her hand, pressing it on her stomach.

"Feel that. It's a child, new life and I will not let you do this."

"You won't let....! God you're as bad as Joe."

"If that's what you think, well fine."

Jack took a firm grasp on his temper. He didn't want to start yelling at her.

"What are you scared of, Sam?" he asked.

"Scared?"

"Changing the timeline would be a hell of a lot easier than dealing with what we have here."

"I don't know what you mean."

"You've left your husband, you're pregnant by another man and you're not exactly fond of yourself right now. Yeah, it'd be nice to go back and change it all, but we have someone else to consider now."

"I never asked to get pregnant!"

"Really?"

Sam hit him. Even though she hadn't been part of the armed forces for many years, she could still hit hard and accurately.

"OW!!" he complained. "That hurt."

"It was meant to," she snapped back.

Jack was hardly in a position to defend himself, so he retreated back to the bed, sitting down and nursing his aching jaw. She turned away from him, suddenly seeming so vulnerable. He didn't know how to approach her, how he could comfort her.

"Come to bed," he offered.

"How can you say that?"

"Because you need to sleep. Come to bed."

"Jack....."

He held out his hand, willing her to take it. It seemed and age before she let him draw her down beside him. There would be no more discussion tonight. With exaggerated care he shifted his body, finding a position where he could hold her close.

In the morning.....in the morning, they would have to decide....

...........one way or the other.

*************************************************************************************

Sam couldn't stay. She waited until Jack was asleep before creeping out of bed. He was wrong. He was so, so wrong.

So why was he halfway to convincing her? The idea of playing happy families with Jack did hold a certain appeal..... How could they hope to bring up a child when they were so far away from home? It was impossible. All she needed was a computer, a couple of hours and a stargate. Easy.

Easy enough that she didn't have to start straight away. She'd wait until Jack was feeling better, then go back to Tollana. Nareem would help her.....not to mention Janet. She wanted the doctor to check her over anyway, carry out another scan. Except....what would be the point?

What else could she do? She could never be happy here. Not in a society where the men ruled and the women served. Jack seemed more than happy to hang around. He was having the time of his life playing with Skaara's kids. Everywhere he went he seemed to have at least three children in tow. Laughing, screaming...playing incomprehensible games. Today they were flying a kite. Jack's arm was healed enough to give him partial mobility and he had helped them tack cloth to wooden struts. There was a hot wind blowing across the sands and the kite flew high on the thermals.

She and Jack hadn't really spoken again. He hadn't avoided her, but neither had he actively sought her out. Now, as she approached him, she couldn't help wondering if he'd actually come with her.

"Hey," she began, not really knowing what to say.

"Hey, yourself," he replied.

"Can we talk?"

"Sure."

He handed the kite strings to one of the kids. They walked away a little before Sam spoke.

"I want to go to Tollana," she announced.

"And?" he questioned.

"You know why."

"You still want to go through with this?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

Jack nodded once and then walked away from her.

"Jack?" Sam called after him.

"Just answer me this.....why did you save my life? I mean if you want to change this anyway, why didn't you just let me die. It wouldn't have mattered."

"I'd have rather died myself."

It was the truth. Jack recognised the importance of her words. He came back towards her, reaching out his hand to stroke her cheek.

"Oh Sam," he breathed, "That was where it all started to go so, so wrong. That was when you started to shut me out."

"I don't know what to do Jack," she admitted, burying herself in his embrace. "I want this baby, but I can't stop thinking about home."

"Saving the world has always been important, but you have to accept the fact that, this time, there may be nothing you can do."

"I can change it, I can....."

"No Sam. There are other ways."

"I don't see it."

He pulled away from her slightly, clasping her shoulders in his hands, looking into her eyes. His eyes were burning with an intensity she had rarely seen.

"We fight," he said.

"How? With What?"

She was shouting now. Screaming at him. Of all the stupid ideas....!

"We can do it Sam, you and me. As far as people back home are concerned, we're still heroes. If we spread the word, they'll come to us. We have friends out here....people who'll help us."

"You're mad!"

"Maybe."

"It's not the same as when we were fighting the Goa'uld. God, Jack, these people are way more advanced and a hell of a lot less arrogant. We can't just go in, blow some stuff up and chalk it up as another victory."

"I'm not saying we can. It may take a long time, but we'll get our planet back."

"I wish I could believe you."

Sam stepped away from him, breaking the physical contact.

"I'm going to Tollana.....tomorrow. I'm sorry, Jack."

Jack stood there and watched her walk away. He ached for this child, she knew that. Even so....

"What right do we have?" he shouted after her.

She paused, not turning.

"Even if we save the Earth what happens to all these other worlds. How can we tell they're going to be better off? Hell, there might not be a Tollana if we go through with this."

"It wasn't your mistake, Jack," she said. "You were against the Aschen from the start."

"Yeah and maybe I should have tried a damn sight harder to stop the alliance. Maybe I should have stopped you marrying Joe?"

"You did all you could, Jack."

"I never told you how much I loved you."

He was deliberately making this difficult for her. Without her knowing, he'd moved closer. She could feel his breath on the back of her neck. The soft whisper caressed her skin.

"Fight with me, Sam. The way it should have been in the start."

His arms encircled her, his hands coming to rest on her stomach, his lips nuzzling at her throat.

"Please," he whispered.

And Sam found she couldn't deny him anymore.

They would fight.

They would win.

And their child would have a place to call home.



The End