samandjack.net

Story Notes: Email: scc@iform.com.au

Season: 3 Becuase it's seth

Spoilers: HUGE spoilers for 'SETH' so if you havn't seen it...... run away!.

Archive: SJA yes, and Heliopolis, any one else Yes. (just let me know)

Feedback: as we've said time and time again, we *will* kill you if you don't send feedback. OR Well just make sure that Stargate never shows on TV screens again and you'll have to come to ME and beg to watch them. *whawaaaa* J/k, breath people!


~~~~~~Stargate when Jacob arrives~~~~~~~~~



Jacob Carter smiled at his welcome crew as he stepped onto the base grate. He greeted his friend, "George" Turning he looked at the four standing eagerly at the bottom of the grate. "O'Neill, Daniel, Teal'c," He paused as his eyes fell upon his daughter. "Sam." He said and pulled her into a hug.

She hug him back fiercly, as she always did when he came home from a mission or had not seem him for some time. He always looked forward to trips like these, often admiring how his sweet innnocent daughter had blossomed into a swan, just like her mother. He quickly stated why he was here and they made there way up to the debriefing room.

//you are proud of your daughters growth Jacob?// Selmac asked him.

Jacob smiled. "Oh course i am, she's my girl." He said watching proudly as she talked quietly to Colonel O'Neill. Jacob watched observatly when his daughter laughed genuienly at something the Colonel was saying. She punched him lightly in the arm and they contiued to chat as they went about.

//those to seem awfuly, what is that Tauri saying?// selmac asked

"Chumy." Jacob suplied noticing how they fell in stride next to each other, there hand and leg movements identical to each other.

//you do not like this?//

"Sure i do." Jacob said. He didn't mind at all, after all his daughter was a full grown woman and was allowed to talk to whoever she wanted.

//that is not what i meant, Jacob.// Selmac explained, cutting him off from thought.

"Not you too." He complained. He had forgotten what it was like to have a match making woman arround him. His wife had often played cupid, and now he had to live with one 24 hours a day.

//surely i am not that bad?// Selmac asked defidently.

"I was just kidding, Selmac." Jacob assured her and grinned as he took seat beside his daughter. Watching his daughter's face light up at the hollogram. She began to talk scientifckly with awe and Jacob noticed with amusement that Jack tried to follow on, but he was giving her a confused look.

//do not mock O'Neill, as you pull the same look when dear Matorf talks// Selmac roused. Jacob smiled sheepishly and listened to what Daniel was explaining.



~~~On the plane to Seattle~~~~~



"Thanks" Jacob said as the air hostess handed him his orange juice. He glanced around the private Jet. Daniel was in the corner, shuffling through some papers on 'Seth' and Teal'c was sitting calmly staring out the window.

"Sir, would you or your wife like a drink?"

Jacob spat in his drink as the air hostess lady bent over to Jack. He noticed that his daughter had fallen asleep on the colonel's arm and was sleeping happily, tucked in with a blanket.

"Shh, she's asleep. I'll be right." He said as he waved the woman off. The woman smiled gracieously and left. Sam stirred slightly on his arm and nuzzeld deeper into her CO's arm. Jack didn't seem to notice and contiued watching out of the window. As if realizing he was being watched, he glanced over to Jacob and threw the man a smile. Jacob retured the smile and turned his head to look out the window.

//i believe the correct term is jealousy.// selmac stated, causing Jacob to roll his eyes.

"What ever you say Selmac, what ever you say." He denied and snuck a look over to his sleeping daughter.

//then why do you contiue to watch Samantha's interaction with O'Neill?//

Jacob sighed, sometimes a man wasn't even allowed to have his own thoughts. "I'm just curious, that's all." He heard Selmac chuckle.

//there is curiuos, Jacob, and then there is over protective.//

"Sorry, Sir." He heard Sam say as she woke. He watched as she self conciously wipped at her mouth and smiled sheepishly.

"That's alright Captin, i have beautiful woman falling alseep on my arm all the time. That's how exciting my converstaions are." Jack cracked, making his daughter laugh softly.

//Calm down Jacob, i do belive he paid her a compliment.// Selmac started when Jacob tensed at the Colonel's word of beautiful.

"I am calm." Jacob lied. "Really, i don't mind the man at all." He'd know for some time that his daughter was indeed beautiful. Men where bound to notice how inchanting she was. But up until now, he had never seen his daughter blush at such a compliment. NOrmally his daughter was calm and collected, a true military woman, and would brush it off with Sarcasm. But right now, she was sending her CO a blinding smile and was blushing slightly.

//i do believe they call it love.// Selmac teased.

"There not in love." Jacob argued. Selmac didn't know his daughter. Sam did *not* go all lovey dovey and drool over men. Even when she almost got engaged to that horriable Jonas, she never acted like a love struck teenager. "I would know if she did, she only looks at him like a brother. A good friend perhaps. Trust me selmac, a father knows when he's daughter is in love."

//Than her father is balding as well as blind.// selmac snapped, bring Jacob to laugh softly. //i am seriuos, Jacob. Look at them. I many be a Goul'd but i know those looks. Trust me, a Tok'ra knows these things// Selmac joked. Jacob shook his head and egnored the voice in his head.

"I'll prove it, i'll ask her, she tells me everything." Jacob assured Selmac and finshed the rest of his orange juice.



~~~~~~~ in car to seth's hide out~~~~~~~~~~



"So he say's, 'you wanna make something off it'? SO i say.."

"You didn't, Sir. Tell me you didn't?" Sam pleaded with her CO in the front seat, tears of laughter in her eyes. "What did he say?"

Jacob grinned. His daughters eyes where lit up like they did when it was christmas in the Carter house, and her blue eyes sparckled from laughter. She was turned sideways watching Jack, as he explained one of there missions with Makpeace, while he drove. Everynow and then Jack would turn to her and she would crack up laughing.

//i do believe you owe me money, Jacob.// Selmac said, also amused at the sight of Jacobs daughter laughing. //he has the same sense of humor as you.//

Jacob mocked a half offense. "What's wrong with my jokes?" He asked as they turned another corner.

//nothing if your Samantha.// Selmac cracked. Jacob groaned and looked over at Teal'c and Daniel. Daniel as usual was busy with some form of book, and teal'c was sitting stifly watching the scenery and occasinally glancing up at Jack and Sam. Daniel noticed he was being watched and glanced up from his book. He smiled at Jacob and winked and mentioned to the front seat. Sam was curently trying to make to Colonel sip the coffee while he was driving. Having his hands full she had to feed it to him herself, and she cautiously put her hand under his chin to catch any coffee. Jacob's eye brows rose an extra inch and Daniel just smircked.

"Are they always like this?" Jacob asked out of curiousity. Maybe Selmac was right. His daughter was indeed in love with her commander.

//i am.// Selmac answerd.

Daniel looked surprised and debated over what to tell him. He simply shrugged his shoulders and half nodded and went back to his book. Jacob sighed. Obviuosly the rest of the team was used to this behaviour and thought nothing of it. While an observer, like himself, found it strange.

//leave them alone.// selmac comanded as he opened his mouth to remark. Jacob frowned and looked out of the window. //let them have some peace.// Selmac continued to plead. //you like the boy don't you?//

"Yes." Jacob admited. When he had first met O'Neill he had been charmed by his wit and impressed but his devotioin and loyalty to the stargate and his team. And, Jacob noted, he respected his daughter, and never gave her a hard time.

//well what is your problem? Give the poor girl a break and stop acting like a overzelaous father. I like O'Neill, and your daughter does too, so don't give me any excuses about regulations//

Jacob shook his head in defeat. That was the last time he show Selmac TV. The goul'd had turned into a soapy fan, and would sometimes make him watch endless romance movies. Although, unlike his wife, she did enjoy James Bond movies.

"Hey dad, you still awake back there?" Sam called, pulling him out of any futher arguement with Selmac.

"You father is contemplating a James Bond movie he saw." Selmac answered for him.

Sam grinned knowingly and Jack spoke up. "A fan of Bond are we, General?" Sam slapped him playfully. "You can call him Jacob you know." SHe said, earning both glances from Jack and her father. "What? It's your name! It's sounds silly to keep calling him General."She pointed out.

//i'd rather him call you dad.// Selmac whispered. Jacob sent a hard look to Selmac and she laughed. But Jacob didn't mind, infact he'd rather O'Neill call him that then his own, betraying son. It would be nice to be respected other than being called a 'washed up has been'. //you should really talk to your son.//

"I will do no such thing. If he want's me he can come to me." Jacob snapped angrily, disapointed that he got more respect from a stranger than his own son. Even Matorf was more of a son.

//do not be hard on the boy, sometimes son and fathers are to ignorant to confess there true fears.//

"Just drop it. We'll discuss this later." Jacob stated and watched as they pulled into a gas station. Jack started to climb out when Sam took off with his wallet.

"Hey!" He called out.

Sam pulled a face, similar to the one she pulled as a teenager, and bated her eyes lids. "I'll pay you back, promise." She said sending him a smile so bright that it could light a whole room.

Just as Jacob always sucumberd to it, Jack smiled. "Sure. While your in there, will you grap me...."

"A packet of extra juicy grape gum, a bottle of water and a cookies and cream hersy bar." Sam finshed his sentace and waved his wallet infront of her. "Your gonna get fat one day." She teased.

"Oh, Sam, you kill me." Jack mock sighed and raised a hand to his heart. Sam grinned and ran off into the store to get the items. Jacob smiled and took his chance to speak with his daughter.

//talk Jacob, not interogate// Selmac roushed and Jacob just climbed out after his daughter. He found his daughter inside, her arms already full of items that Jack had requested. She saw him and smiled, but not the same smile she had shot the Colonel with moments earlier.

"Oh hey Dad, did you want something, or did the Colonel decided he wanted something extra? I swear, i'm surprised he can move in his fatigues." SHe joked, reaching down to grap some tic tacs.

"No, no." Jacob said innocently. "I just wanted to talk to you, that's all. Is it so bad to want to walk to my favorite daughter?"

Sam shot him a look to show she was on to him. "I'm your only daughter, what's up dad?" She asked, giving him a seriuos look. "If it's about Mark, i told you, i'll come with you, you know that. I can ask the Colonel for a couple of days off, he wont mind."

Jacob raised his hands to stop her. "No. It's not about Mark. It's about you. Thankyou for the offer though, but let's not talk about him until we get back, OK?" Sam nodded and reached into get a bottle of water. "Arn't you getting yourself a drink? I know you always get thirsty on road trips." Jacob said as he offered to take some of her items.

Sam shook him away and held up the bottle. "I have. I still do." Jacob grinned. "So your going to tease Jack with your drink are you?" He said jokingly.

SAm pulled a face showing she was confused. "No, we usually go halves. That man's eyes are bigger than his stomach. He usually takes a couple of sips and i have the rest. " She paused and reached for the door. "Why did you want one?" She asked.

Jacob shrugged, suprised by the news. "No, no. Egnore me, i'm getting old." He said as he guided her closer to the isle to buy her items. They set down the items and he look at his daughter carefully. "Sam, did you want to tell me something?" He asked.

Sam looked at her father surprised. "No, why? Dad, what's wrong? Is something bothering you?"

Jacob smiled. "No i just wanted to know. I don't see you that often, just wanted to know maybe how's your life going, new people in it, friends....fiancee's?"

//jacob your as blunt as a door nail.// Selmac stated sighing.

To Sam's credit she just laughed and nervously fidled with the bottle top. "No, sorry to disapoint you dad, no guys in my life, excpet for well the team." She said mentioning to Teal'c who was attmpting to learn how to wipe a windscreen.

"You could never disapint me kido." Jacob said, egnoring the murmering Selmac. "I just thought you know, you and Jack seemed kinda close, i just wondered..."

"Dad!" Sam cried and slapped her fathers arm. BUt against her wishes her face went bright red and she tried to glare at her father. "THere's *nothing* goign on. He's my CO for crying out loud!"

Jacob smiled.

//alright Jacob, pay up.// Selmac demanded. Jacob smiled at his blushing daughter. SHe hadn't even realised she had used Jack's favorite line.

"That's $22.50, thanks." The woman at the cheak out said.

Sam expertly wipped out Jack's creidt card and entered the pin number and picked up her bags. Jacob smiled, having a feeling that it wasn't the first time she had used his credit card. "Sam, it's Ok. Even if there was something going on." He paused when his daughter glared at him, "which there's not, i'd still be happy for you. Kido i just want you to be happy." He said smiling as she rolled her eyes.

"THanks dad, but really, there's not. WHat ever gave you the idea that i was?" SHe asked climing into the back seat and pushing her father to sit in front. Jacob smiled at his daughter attempt to prove a point and grinned as Jack leaned over to get his wallet and food.

"Thanks Sam. Hey listen, if you left any money in my bank this time, i might actually let you use it to buy us dinner." He joked and Sam gave him a false glare.

"Wasn't my fault that you don't deposite more in your bank card, how was i supose to know there was only $300 hundred left?" She said smiling and handing him the drink.

Daniel laughed. "Sam, he sent you to buy pizza and you came back with enough food to feed the To'Kra for a year." Daniel said joining in on the joke.

Sam blushed. "Your over egagerating. The Colonel had nothing in his cabourds, beside i wanted something to eat during a poker game other than stale chips and beer." Jack started laughing and Sam kicked the back of his chair. "Besides it was your fault when you handed me your wallet."

"How was i supose to know that you'd dive straight for the gold card?" He asked handing her the drink back.

"You'll learn Jack, that you never hand a woman a wallet full of shinny credit cards." Jacob said, knowing his own daughter had played the same trick on him as a teenager.

Jack laughed and grinned at Sam. "An experinced Credit card Stealer Sam? Did they teach you that at the pentagon?" He joked and handed her his candy bar so she could open it for him.

Sam opened it and handed it back to him. "Watch it Colonel, i know where you hide your keys, and i know for a fact that both you and Daniel have credit cards hidden in that your sock draw." Jacob daughter looked at his daughter shocked. "What? You leave a girl to house sit and you thougt i would twiddle my thumbs? I've got a rader for these things." She grinned at the laughing males.

Jacob sighed,"Some things will never change Sam." He father remarked. Sam grinned proudly and took a sip of her water.



~~~~~ outside seth compound ~~~~~~~



"Captin, you take left i'll take the right." Jacob watched as his daughter snapped into military mode and worked silently beside Jack. No wonder they where such a good team, Jacob thought. Without derict words, the two covered and secrued the area in seconds, with no more than a couple of head nods and a look. He always knew his daughter was a good soilder and was always proud when he watched her.But he had rarely seen a soilder move so deifine and quickly to instructions. It was as if the two shared the same mind, and they ducked and weaved beside each other and mentioned with there eyes where to go.

//she has a lot of repsect for him// selmac observed, aslo noticing the way the two interacted. //as he does for her//

Jack mentioned for her to cover him and she was quickly at his side and secrued it as he moved about and into the brush. He winked at her and she quickly ducked and pulled Daniel down beside her. "They have to, when they have a job like they do." Jacob explained and contiued to smile as the two mapped out a route to follow. "They have to depend on the other to cover them."

//looks like they're very good at that.// Selmac muttered as Jack boasted Sam up so she could scramble up the tree. She was up in seconds and pointed to the far east. climbing back down he caught her as she held her hand out to be pulled down, and they quickly set up a path down the track.//very good//

"Enough." Jacob said warningly and carefuly followed his Daughter down towards the fence line. He knew that his daughter was in very safe capable hands and was proud of his daughter, that his heart swelled. Either that our interjestion.

//Jacob, you know damn well that you love your daughter with all your heart.// Jacob silenced selmac as Jack began to burn a hole into the fence.



~~~~~~~back at the base when Jacob is leaving~~~~~~~~



Jacob shook hands with the General Hammond and they laughed like old friends. Suddenly Hammond mentioned to the four standing around the gate, getting suited up for their next mission. Sam was currenly laughing as Jack pretened to not be able to zip his jacket up from his 'fat' stomach. It was obviuosly packed with food and Sam was patting it jockingly.

"You've noticed too huh?" Jacob said. He knew that Hammond didn't mind, infact he and the General where close friends and told each other everything. "You don't mind?" He asked.

Hammond shoke his head, looking down proudly as Sam helped zip Jack up. "Not at all. But it's not me that needs convincing, it's them." He pointed out.

The 2 where oblivous to the men watching them and Sam sneakily reached into the colonel pack and removed his wallet without his knowledge. Suddenly she waved it infront of his nose and he reached out for it. Instead she poked out her tounge and slipped the wallet into her jacket.

"50 bucks says this time next year, you'll be getting a wedding invitation." Hammond said extending his hand.

Jacob laughed and shook his hand laughing.BUt before he could say more selmac took over. "General Hammond, that is not a nice thing to place bets against them." Selmac roused.

Hammond laughed. "$100."

"Now were talking. Men, can't bet for anything." Selmac said grunginly.

Jacob just shook his head and looked down at the now casing couple. Jack grapped hold of her and turned her upside down so that he had her feet. Than he shook her up and down. Causing her to scream and giggle. The wallet fell out and he kicked it from her reach.

"$200 says 6 months" Selmac said, surprising both men.

"Selmac, you drive a hard bargin." Hammond said shaking Jacobs hand. Jacob smiled and slapped his friend on the back. "Good to see you old man." Hammond said as they walked down to Sam and Jack. WHen they walked in Sam and Jack quickly stopped fighting over the card and saluted.

"At ease soliders." Hammond said pretending to sound comanding. But Jacob and selmac knew better. They grinned at the two blushing soldiers and Jacob hugged his daughter.

"Try not to spend all of Jack's money, kido." He said, bracing his hands on her shoulders. "Even if he is a sucker." He said winking at the Colonel.

Jack groaned and took his chance to snatch his card back off. "Thanks Jacob." He said sacrastickly shakking his hand.

Jacob grinned. "Hey, better you than me right?"

Sam grinned and snatched back the card from the unsuspecting Colonel and he glared at her. "Hope to see you on better terms next time huh?" Jack said leading the man up to the grate. Jacob and Hammond exchanged knowing looks and nodded to each other.

"Here's betting on it." He said smugly.

Both Sam and Jack gave him quizical looks and waved goodbye. When he was gone they turned to Hammond. "What was that all about sir?" Jack asked.

Hammond shrug."Oh nothing, jsut a bet."

"A bet? WHat kind of bet?" Sam asked curiuosly.

Hamond grinned. "Oh you'll find out soon enough."

Sam and Jack looked at each other confused and shrugged at one another. But the General had already left so they contiued there fight over the credit card. Little did they both know what the sheming General's where betting and hoping to win.



~~~~~~~

So was that crap or what? -nikki