samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-MAIL : ruth@snowqueen.demon.co.uk

SPOILERS: Full Circle

NOTES: Contains spoilers for Full Circle!!


It was late when they got back from Abydos. Far too late to even think about driving home. Sam didn't really want to spend the night on the base. Grey walls, a narrow bed, itchy blankets weren't exactly conducive to her state of mind. After the emotional turmoil of the past couple of days she was worn out, plain and simple.

That and confused.

Sam didn't know whether to be happy for the Abydonians or not ... then there was Daniel. No one knew what had happened to him and she wasn't certain she could rely on her team mates to tell her if they found out.

So, rather than think about it any more, she was going to bed. She wasn't exactly surprised when Colonel O'Neill met her in the corridor. He was dressed in his street clothes, obviously he had no qualms about driving home.

"Staying here?" he asked, stating the obvious.

"Yeah," she replied.

"I could drive you, if you want."

"No, sir, thank you. I have some things to take care of in the morning."

"Okay ... here."

He handed her a key.

"What's this?" Sam asked.

"VIP quarters," he shrugged.

"I can't."

Sam shoved the key back at him, but the colonel refused to take it. Instead, he took her hand and started to pull her down the corridor.

"Sir!" she protested.

"You know you want to, Carter."

"I can't."

"Private bathroom, double bed, down comforter ... and pillows ... lots of pillows."

"Colonel!"

"I'll make it an order if I have to."

He tugged her into the elevator. Sam sagged against the wall, admitting defeat.

"How did you get the key?" she asked.

"Lieutenant Rogers has a crush on me," he grinned.

"That's fairly despicable, sir."

"This from the woman who flutters her eyelashes at Sergeant Siler every time she wants help with her bike!"

"I do not."

"Do too."

He grinned at her, pleased by their childish argument. Sam couldn't help smiling back. The elevator doors slid open and Sam stepped out.

"Okay, sir," she told him, "just this once."

"Enjoy ... and I'll see you in the morning."

Sam admitted to herself that a little luxury would go a long way to restoring her sense of balance. It was only when she was finally lying in bed that she truly appreciated the colonel's gesture. This was a lot more comfortable than her quarters, she almost thought she could ... sleep... dream.

*************************************************************************************

... she was in the Gateroom ... which wasn't unusual. She dreamt about the SGC a lot.

"Are you ready?"

The colonel's voice. Sam turned around to look at him ... disappointed to find that, in this dream, he was wearing clothes. Long desert robes to be precise.

"At least your dress is better than mine," he continued.

Sam stared down at herself. Brown silk, long, flowing, a darker strip of material circling her waist.

"You look ..." he breathed, "amazing."

"Thank you."

She felt herself blush at his frank appraisal. Since this was a dream, she took the arm he offered and together, they stepped through the Stargate to ...

... Abydos.

Skaara was there, grinning at them.

"Skaara," the colonel said.

"O'Neill," the young man replied.

The two of them hugged. Sam had to fight back a tear at the sight. It was rare the colonel displayed such honest emotion.

"Major Carter, you look beautiful," Skaara breathed.

"Hey, eyes off," O'Neill growled, "you're almost a married man, remember."

"Indeed ... this way."

Skaara led them out of the pyramid and into the desert beyond. The people of Abydos were celebrating. The colonel had taken her hand and they were swept along with the rest of the populace. Kasuf was waiting for them, Skaara's bride by his side.

The ceremony was simple but beautiful. Sam didn't understand a word of it but she had more tears in her eyes. Damn, why did she always cry at weddings. O'Neill played his part well, looking strangely dignified as he stood by Skaara's side.

Afterwards they joined Skaara's family for the feast. Sam sat Jack's side, leaning against him as the evening wore on. This was a nice dream, she decided. Once of the best she'd had in a long, long while.

"Hey, sleepy," Jack said. "You want to go?"

"No," she shook her head.

She didn't want to wake up. Jack's arm slid around her shoulders, pulling her closer. The air was cooling rapidly and she felt a little chilly.

"Better?" he asked

"What do you think?" Sam whispered back.

"So, is it serious?" The voice was Skaara's and the young man had a huge grin on his face.

"Don't you have a wife to get back to?" Jack demanded.

"She is preparing herself for me. It is taking a long time."

"Woman's privilege," Sam smirked.

"You did not answer my question."

"Yeah, it's serious," Jack replied.

Sam looked at him in surprise. What trick was her psyche playing now? Serious? Then again, she supposed they were. After all, neither of them had ever shown any signs of 'moving on'.

"I guess it is," she said quietly.

"Then you are betrothed!" Skaara exclaimed.

"No wait ...!!"

But the young man was already announcing the news. Sam and Jack suddenly found themselves surrounded by people, cheering, shouting...

"You must let Kasuf marry you," Skaara said.

"I don't think we need go that far ..." Jack protested.

"Among my people it is considered a sign of good fortune. If you wed, you will bless my own union."

"What do you say, Carter, wanna get hitched?"

"Why not?" she heard herself reply.

It was just a dream after all. It wasn't like she hadn't imagined this before. Of course usually, when she dreamt about marrying Jack, it was in a church ... white dress, flowers, the whole nine yards. Still, this wasn't bad.

The next thing she knew, they were standing before Kasuf. Jack had managed to find some rings from somewhere ... although they weren't part of the Abydonian wedding ceremony, he'd thought it was important. A circle of gold now adorned the finger of her left hand. It was pretty, and Sam liked the way it looked.

"Do you think I get to kiss the bride?" Jack whispered.

"I'd risk it if I were you," she replied.

Sam tilted her head to one side, anticipating the touch of Jack's lips against hers.

************************************************************************************

Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Dammit!" Sam swore as she woke up.

Why did her mind torture her in this way? It wasn't fair. Still, had to be the best nights sleep she'd had in a while.

Sam crawled out of the bed and headed to the bathroom. A quick shower and she'd be ready to face the world again. She wondered if the colonel was in yet. Somehow she thought he would be. Despite appearances, Sam knew that Jack often worked as hard as she did.

She had barely finished her shower, when there was a knock at the door. Sam hesitated before answering it, knowing by rights she should even be here. It was only the irritated voice saying,

"Carter, open up will you!"

That persuaded Sam to open the door.

The colonel was standing there, a bag which had to contain breakfast in his arms.

"Sir, you shouldn't have done," Sam protested.

"No sweat."

He crossed to the table and dropped his burden. Sam watched as he pulled out coffee and doughnuts. Maybe not the most healthy breakfast, but sugar and caffeine were always welcome.

"I had the strangest dream last night," Sam began.

"Yeah?"

Was it her imagination or did he sound decidedly nervous?

"We were on Abydos, at Skaara's wedding," she continued.

"Ah."

"Sir?"

"Maybe you can explain where I got this?"

He dragged his left hand out of his pocket and showed her the ring on his finger. Sam looked down at her own ring finger and notice, for the first time, the gold band which rested there.