samandjack.net

Author's Notes:

Jack and Sam strategize what to say when they speak with Hammond...



Disclaimer: Stargate SG1, characters, settings etc. are property of their owners. No copyright infringement is intended. Original characters and plots are property of the author. No profit is being made from the fiction.


A Little Indiscretion


by Adelie King

Chapter Four: Cover Up

Sam had silently left Janet's office and headed home as suggested so she could calm her nerves. She came in the front door and set her purse down and her other usual routines, changing clothes, getting comfortable but what she did different was open a bottle of chardonnay and a few drinks.

Sam loved Jack and now she accepted that. She also knew he knew and that he possibly felt the same about her. His behavior towards Martouf proved it. Sam had no idea that Jack had been that jealous for years or that it upset him that bad.

After her few drinks in front of a fire watching a relaxing show on TV there was a few knocks at her door. Sam immediately got up and answered it. When she opened the door she found Jack O'Neill on the other side of it in his jeans, black leather windbreaker, boots and a white t-shirt. He also smelled like a brewery which indicated he had been downing a few as well.

"Sir, what are you doing here?" Sam was more than surprised to see him on her porch after what happened.

"Can I come in?" Jack asked politely and quietly, "We need to talk...now."

"Sir, I don't think it's a really good idea right now with what has been circulating all over the base about us." Sam logically argued with him, "What if my dad or Hammond shows up?" She asked hypothetically.

"Well I think we need to talk so we have our story straight when we meet Hammond tomorrow don't you?" Jack clearly pointed out to her.

Sam couldn't disagree, "Yeah I guess that would be a good idea Sir." She finally stepped aside letting Jack in. After she closed the door and locked it she remarked, "I would offer you a drink but it smells like you've had a few."

Jack hung his coat on the hook and looked at her and observed, "It smells like you've had a few as well Carter." Then he asked semi-logically, "So what's the harm in us getting totally drunk now?"

He had a point and she couldn't deny it so she decided to remind him, "If we get drunk Sir something might happen more than just an unexpected kiss." Sam's tone was clear with concern.

Jack walked around the couch telling her, "Well since everyone believes we're having an affair and we know its bullshit I highly doubt anything will happen." He took a seat on her sofa looking up to her resting one arm up across the back of it.

Sam walked in front of him and disagreed, "Forgive me Sir but after you threatened Martouf to stay away from me with clear intention of punching him." She crossed her arms stubbornly, "I have my doubts about you feeling nothing for me." Sam told him, "To me you looked jealous and obsessive over me." She paced and observed, "Those are the actions of a man who has very strong feelings for me."

He rose abruptly and bluntly admitted, "Alright I do have feelings for you...happy!" Jack turned around and paced rubbing his hair a moment. Then he growled and continued loudly, "I couldn't stand the way pretty boy was hitting on you!" Jack huffed and told her almost growling, "I wanted to punch his lights out." He looked at her angry and hurting. Then he fell down on the couch again and remarked, "Most women are usually flattered."

She rolled her eyes and reminded him, "Maybe but I'm not Sir." Sam paused and chewed him out, "And maybe I'm not is because I did everything to prove to my dad that you felt nothing and nothing was going on then you decided to play jealous ape intending to punch another man out."

Jack then argued, "Well I'm not the one who gave the passionate kiss in front of her father in an attempt to be ironic." He told her, "I didn't tell him I wanted to sleep with my CO just to spite him." Jack accused, "And that's when he decided to go to our CO himself and tell him to have you transferred."

"Well you're the one who kissed me to begin with." Sam argued.

"Oh who are you fooling Carter!" Jack countered loudly, "It was mutual and you know it." He corrected, "We both kissed each other." He rose up from the couch again, "And we got caught." Jack got in her face and told her, "Now we have to live with it and face the consequences." He turned his back to her.

"I thought you came to get our story straight Sir." She reminded him, "So I won't get transferred and the team doesn't get broken up." He rubbed his head in frustration keeping his back to her. "It was a little unintentional little indiscretion right." Sam paused and told him, "We just tell him the truth. What's the harm in it?"

Jack turned around finally looking her in the face again. His voice turned calm answering, "Yeah but what about the part of you admitting you're in love with me to your father." He stated the facts, "We can't exactly get out of that one...can we..."

Sam felt her insides intensify with her feelings for him and it was unmistakable especially to him. "No I can't." She faced it, "But we can lie that you don't feel the same."

"No I can't" He argued.

"Yes you can." She argued back, "Why can't you?" Sam started walking around the room frantic.

"Because it's not true!" Jack declared to her loudly, "He's going to see that!" He walked up behind her and then ahead of her then in front of her stopping her. She felt like she's going to cry again. Jack cupped her face out of instinct looking at her and spoke softly to her, "We tell Hammond it just happened and your father overreacted that's all..." He asked her, "He does overreact when it comes to you right?"

She moved away out of his hands and he pulled them back, "Sometimes he's been known to..."

Then Jack logically asked, "And you were being facetious when you argued with him right?" He stepped closer to her just like before.

"Yeah but what about when I kissed you in front of him?" Sam recalled waiting for his next solution.

"You were being a smartass to make him look stupid." Jack told her and admitted, "I've done it many times." Then he suggested, "Just tell him you've been around my influence too long."

She partly worried about that, "I'm not sure that would be a wise thing to say either then he'll think that our kiss was because of your influence."

"Yeah never mind that one." Jack retorted the situation lightening up a little and he recommended, "Let's just laugh at it and how we fooled him." He paused and said, "Hammond has a sense of humor. He'll probably just laugh it off."

 

"You kissed each other during a break in negotiations Colonel, Captain!" Hammond was not amused one bit, "That was not that funny Colonel..." He looked at Sam, "And your father has a reason to be upset with you two."

"Sir, you know how my father overreacts sometimes." Sam argued and pointed out, "He's always been overprotective with me. He always will be." Then she accused, "He's hated the Colonel since he first met him."

"Yeah, he's always hated me!" Jack backed her up, "He's had it in for me since we met so how can you take his word objectively?" Then he informed Hammond, "Carter just did what she did to piss him off. She was being facetious with him. She kissed me to make what he was saying look ridiculous."

"He was accusing me and Colonel O'Neill of sleeping together." Sam told Hammond, "He was being outright lewd with the Colonel in earshot of me. He asked him if O'Neill had his dick in me when he caught him would he say it was nothing."

"He said what?" Hammond wanted clarification, "He said that to you!"

"Yes Sir." Jack clarified, "Then he demanded to know if I wanted to sleep with her and got pushier and then threatened me to stay away from her!" He paused and continued, "The he pressured and chewed her out!" Jack then told Hammond, "He had her crying by the time he was done with her...That's why I went after Martouf. I wanted to hit her father so I took it out on him!"

Good Cover Sam immediately thought impressed with him before she looked at Hammond again.

"Even if that's true Colonel." Hammond finally calmed and told him, "You still had no right to intimidate him like that!" He pointed his finger at him.

"I know that Sir. I'll apologize the next time I see him and I'll explain myself." Jack assured him, "I'll even tell him he can sleep with her for all I care." He said completely sincere but inside it wasn't the case but he was convincing anyway.

"Good Colonel." Hammond then firmly inquired, "Then explain to me what possessed you to kiss her in the first place?"

At that moment both turned white and unable to answer for a moment. They didn't look away though just stood officially. Jack finally admitted, "A moment of weakness Sir." He paused and assured him, "It will never happen again."

Hammond asked Sam "Is that your answer as well Captain?"

She sighed and answered, "Yes Sir." Sam assured him, "It won't happen again." She swallowed and they looked at each other waiting for his response.

He finally spoke and warned, "And no more smart behavior towards your father again." Hammond then remarked, "The last thing I want is him demanding a pregnancy test on you." He looked at Jack, "Or a DNA test on you either."

"Yes Sir." Sam agreed.

Jack sighed relieved, "Yes Sir."

Hammond ordered, "I don't want to hear of anything like this between you two again." Then he stressed, "Or I will be forced to break up SG1 and transfer you" He made his voice firmer, "Understand?" Hammond looked at Jack accusatively, "Colonel?"

"Yes Sir." Jack answered officially.

"Good you two are dismissed!" He told them. They left his office and he frustrated. Hammond did know they were in love with each other but refused to say nothing about it.